This is my blog. It's been going for a couple of years now. I'll keep writing in it from time to time, often for no particular reason.

Monday, January 08, 2007

Dehydration and soft drinks

For any one at all interested in their health and quality of life I have been noticing an interesting phenomena.

I'm not a soft drink drinker - juice, cordial, coke, pepsi, solo, sprite - whatever, I generally don't drink it (unless mixed with something else on the odd occasion).

However....over the past few weeks I have been drinking far less water than I usually do (I normally drink about three litres of water a day). While I'm not finding myself dehydrated or 'thirsty', I have been getting urges, yearnings, cravings, desires, or whatever you might feel, for a sweet and/or fizzy drink.

My conclusion from this inadvertent experiment is that when we are dehydrated (note: you don't know if you are dehydrated - if you feel thirsty then you are well beyond the early stages of dehydration) your body tells you it needs water + electrolytes (sugar and salt) - hence the craving for a sweet bubbly drink.

The obesity pandemic driven largely by our addiction to sugary drinks (especially 'healthy' fruit juice - bah!) could be slowed by a greater effort on drinking more water. More water, less soft drink, less diabetes, less drain on society - and people think Centrelink gives away too much money. I say we tighten the criteria for helping people with late onset diabetes and other lifestyle related illnesses - if you can't bothered to keep yourself healthy (at no expense to yourself - in fact saving you money on alcohol, cigarettes, soft drink, junk food, expensive leisure activities, big TV's etc) then don't come crawling to the government asking for subsidised insulin shots or any other support.

Hmm, and I want to be a public health policy maker?

It can't hurt to drink more water, and ignore the naysayers who claim drinking too much strips vitamins and minerals from your body - rubbish. Eat a healthy diet full of vegetables, legumes and lean protein and you'll have all the vitamins and minerals you need.

The more I think about it, the more I would like to be able to create a 'Human Scorecard'. A little template that takes into account your lifestyle, income, education, career, etc etc and tell you exactly what your impact on the world is - economically (including environmentally). My guess is that most people would have a negative impact on the world - especially those of us in OECD countries (the new word I will use for 'the West').

3 Comments:

Blogger futureshock101 said...

Couldn't agree more. It has always bothered me that public health opinion has been so anti smoking but advertising promoting soft drinks, fast food and alcohol are all fine...

Only problem with your report card... All the people with money and power (the elite of your OECD grouping) would fail... hence there will be no report cards in the near future....

Monday, January 08, 2007 10:37:00 pm

 
Blogger Nick said...

haha!

An alternative view of child sponsorship....

http://www.newint.org/issue111/tabanna.htm

Wednesday, January 10, 2007 10:51:00 am

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nick, if you are really interested in correlations between all these fields: I would recommend looking up sociology because these are one of the many fields they research. I can send you some manuscripts for the exact fields you mentioned and the indirect and direct relation between them but since they are in dutch but I guess they won't do you any good! They also represent the figures from belgium,where our habits are very different to Australian ones

Tuesday, January 16, 2007 8:21:00 pm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home