This is my blog. It's been going for a couple of years now. I'll keep writing in it from time to time, often for no particular reason.

Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Krazy Krakow and Zakopane

I am absolutely knackered. Decided that since it's been a while since I've done any serious exercise I would race up and down a mountain as fast as possible. Starting from about 900m altitude it took just under 2 hours to climb to 2185m (was determined to get above 2000m for the first time in ages). Using my last ounces of energy to climb over false peak after false peak I finally made it to the top. Much like other altitude climbs the scenery turns to a barren rocky landscape from about 1700m and above. And like every other mountain climbing experience, getting to the top is the sole focus, until you reach the top and realise that an even more painful and usually quite tedious descent awaits. This was no exception. Climbing nearly 1300m in 2 hours meant the slope was fairly steep for most of the way and then dizzyingly steep for the last 45 minutes of lactic acid lung burning struggle. And my trusty boots, trusty only because they are old, not because they are any good, didn't fail to make mincemeat of my toes and tenderise the soles of my feet. So after a 2 hour descent, with legs shaking from the pounding coming back down, and ankles still cringing after the five or six very close calls (most of you will know my ankle experiences of the past), I lurched onto a minibus and was dropped off back in Zakopane with no idea where in the town I was - 10 minutes of aimless walking soon had me reorientated.

Zakopane is the town on the Polish side of the Vysoke Tatry (High Tatras). The Tatras are the most western edge of the Carpathian range that cuts down though and around Romania before finishing in Slovakia and Poland. They are also the highest and most breathtaking (apparently) stretch of the range. So I've finally got a good hike under my belt.

We only chanced upon Zakopane as no buses or trains were going to the Slovakian side of the Tatras from Krakow. A nice little break before we have a quick jaunt in Slovakia before heading onto the Czech Republic.

Our time in Krakow was characterised mainly by fellow backpackers who seemed to visit the place only to go out drinking every night, but I slept through all their early morning returns and romances, so that didn't bother me (but Heather was woken by them on most nights). We also went our seperate ways for a day - Heather on an Auschwitz tour and me on a bicycle tour of Krakow - both with their own story to tell about the persecution of the Krakow Jews (and indeed other European Jews and other ethnic minorities). My tour went through the former Ghetto which is not generally set up for tourists and the locals there are less than welcoming to foreigners - we did get to watch a classy group of guys and their girl settling a drug deal - always a pleasure. I considered doing the Auschwitz tour but decided that I would learn more by doing the Krakow and ghetto tour - and indeed I did.

Polish photos are up

7 Comments:

Blogger futureshock101 said...

Keep up the climbing bro!

Nothing like the focus on the summit!!!

Wednesday, August 23, 2006 3:02:00 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Krakow was the same when we were there - everyone (primarily Australians) was only interested in getting drunk and sleeping in all day.

I think you missed out with Auschwitz - it really makes you question what we as humans are capable of. But I am sure the rest of your travels have given you that perspective already.

Oh and are the rumors true - are you planning a trip back to 'evil' London Town?

Wednesday, August 23, 2006 8:10:00 pm

 
Blogger Nick said...

The rumours are half true, I was thinking about it, but it looks like plans might be changing again, so unlikely now....

The other horror of Krakow was the girl that had a midnight disaster and menstruated on a pair of my shorts as she ran around the room like a headless drunk chook. Only a little patch got hit though so did not warrant adding to the already growing laundry pile just yet.

I see your point about Auschwitz, but to be honest seeing buildings themselves would probably make it seem less real and horrific to me, the imagination is far more powerful. There is also evidence every day of the horror that humans are capable of, but the choices of shareholders and directors of companies is not questioned because they are not pulling the triggers and feeding children dirty water themselves, a poor excuse. 11 million people starve to death every year, 30 million people in Africa have AIDS, millions dying every year because companies and government will not effectively fund the prevention and treatment measures.

Don,t think I am comparing the Holocaust to our modern day indirect genocide, just asking people to devote at least the same energy of horror towards a current and very solvable crisis.

Thursday, August 24, 2006 12:21:00 am

 
Blogger Heather said...

I agree with you Trent, I did not fully appreciate the scale of the Holocaust until I visited Auschwitz.

And for those interested, Nicholas is playing down the incident of the girl who jumped about our dorm room having a massive haemorrhage, possible miscarraige and who remaind in hospital when we asked after her the next day. It was not a "little patch" but a big chunk of blood that remained on Nicks shorts and I dont think I am alone in being disgusted that you continue to wear the shorts all soiled and possibly contaminated!!!!!!!!

Thursday, August 24, 2006 12:46:00 am

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nick you make a good point about many people's ignorance to contemporary horrors...Darfur etc...just to be sure though, the holocaust was a slovable crisis as well, Europe was too slow in confronting Hitler, and to be honest, few really cared that deeply for the plight of the Jews...and sadly still don't, anti-semitism is a live and well across Europe.

ps - Heather, I like that you call him Nicholas!

Thursday, August 24, 2006 9:38:00 am

 
Blogger Nick said...

My point exactly - the Holocaust WAS a solvable crisis. It is a lesson to be learnt about taking action, the suffering will have been in vain if it does not prompt us to take action today.

I still consider the shorts to technically be clean (by my definition), but have graciously stopped wearing them.

Thursday, August 24, 2006 10:31:00 pm

 
Blogger futureshock101 said...

I would love to make a comment... but wont. Nick I trust you know what I am thinking of all this...

Friday, August 25, 2006 4:11:00 am

 

Post a Comment

<< Home