This is my blog. It's been going for a couple of years now. I'll keep writing in it from time to time, often for no particular reason.

Tuesday, September 05, 2006

New plan and being positive

Well after a hard day of thinking yesterday, with various options leaping out at me all over the place I have figured out a plan and I am feeling decidedly positive about it all.

This is how it went.....

I left the Indian Embassy and little shell shocked that my carefully (not) laid plans for the next month seemed to be unraveling (my thoughts immediately turned to the outcome of the Iranian visa - but I have paid for it so surely they can't say no....can they?). I was feeling irritable, especially after the effort of getting to Ankara and holing up in a cheap hotel for the night was such a drain on the spirit (the claustrophobia of having nothing to do and nowhere to go was the main cause of the uneasiness in Ankara).

On arrival at another ENORMOUS Turkish Ottogar (otto is like 'auto' and 'gar'.....see the connections with latin...?) I had an hour or so to kill before my ride to Goreme so I shoved a couple of fetta and spinach 'things' into my mouth and jumped on the internet, finding Lucas online - the first we've had a chance for a quick chat since our underground farewell at Piccadilly Circus. Lucas suggested that I could fly to Kabul via Dubai and try sorting my Indian visa there - an option that had crossed my mind during the taxi ride. But his contact at the Indian Embassy later informed him that it would take a while to sort out as they need to send my passport back to Australia - so that killed that option.

The official at the Indian Embassy in Ankara had told me that the only place other than Australia that I could get the visa quickly and easily was in London. Although I still have slim hopes for the Embassy in Iran.

But for the time being I had to consider how and when I was going to get back to London. Prices flying back from Kabul, Tehran and Istanbul were ridiculous, expensive and reasonable, respectively.

Then, on arrival in my cavehouse in Goreme the most amazing thing happened. I was chatting to this English guy and he was born and bred in Shepherds Bush!!!! The first and possibly the only Englishman to call that part of London home.

So anyway - this English chap was the driver of one of those big overland trucks - going through Turkey, Syria, Jordan and Egypt - most people flying back from Cairo to London on the 1st of October (which coincided exactly with Heathers return to get her Indian visa as well). He offered me a spot on the truck for 300 pounds - not bad for a 26 day tour, I was about to say when (aware of the Contiki rorts) I enquired more about all the additional extras - turns out to eat and have a place to sleep it actually costs more like 500 pounds - out of my budget now - so I crossed that option off my list.

A bus from Tehran to Istanbul takes 40-48 hours - which really isn't that long. The more I thought about it the more I was beginning to realise that the Afghan dream was probably not going to happen this time around.

The initial feeling of being deflated after such a huge buildup, anticipation and daydreaming was soon replaced with more positive thoughts. It would make more sense to see more of Iran and Turkey during my time and then get a bus directly back to Istanbul for a flight to London, get the visa and fly to India - this is also the cheapest option. Some Turkish people here have been telling me that the militia/insurgents etc more or less drop their guns and escape the heat during summer, returning with more vigor during Autumn when the weather is a little cooler - and when I would be getting there. It'll also put a couple of minds at ease that I'm not going, including Heather's whom I'll get to see a couple of weeks earlier than we thought. And I'll get to see a few London friends one last time before heading home.

And with such a beautiful day that Goreme has today, and the promise of four days of pancakes on the beach and sleeping in treehouses in Olympos, I am feeling very excited about the next few weeks, including Iran now, which I saw as another delay before getting into Afghanistan.

Going for a mountain bike ride up a hill this afternoon and then off for a Turkish bath before my overnight bus to Olympos. I gave up on Pepys' bio - should have read his Diary first to understand all the references to characters. Swapped it for Ernest Hemingway and Malcolm Knox books.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like a really good option.

Iran has so much to offer, it's great that you'll get to see more of it. You're dash from Tehran to London will be reminiscient of Rodney and I's four years ago...we took the train to Istanbul, then another train to Athens, then a boat to Milan and a cheap Ryanair flight to London...took about 5 days and we had enough money for a bag of bread and some cheap greek wine...

Weird, I just realised - Rodney and I got our Iran visas on 11 September 2002 - you'll be pretty close to that...and I had left a girlfriend (unlike you though - she was by then an EX-girfriend) in Eastern Europe before beginning my Turkey/Iran trip...You must buy a carpet, I will tansfer money to your account if you can't afford one - but its a must!

As an avid Afghanistan-watcher, I would agree that its getting more dangerous by the day...bombings in Kabul are a clear sign of a deteriorating situation.

Have fun...glad you're feeling positive!

Wednesday, September 06, 2006 8:55:00 am

 
Blogger Nick said...

,I was wondering how close the parallels were to that trip. Following in the footsteps, again....no I don't mind. I should probably do some more carpet research before making a purchase. Definitely want a full silk one - no smaller than 1m x 2m (about)

Wednesday, September 06, 2006 10:56:00 pm

 
Blogger Nick said...

woops that comment got cut-off.

What sort of price should I be looking at for that? Any recommended spots - Shiraz, Esfahan?

Wednesday, September 06, 2006 10:58:00 pm

 
Blogger Nick said...

Forgot to say as well - I expect to collect my Iranian visa in Istanbul on either the 11th or 12th!

Wednesday, September 06, 2006 11:04:00 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not really following in the foot steps...I was away for 8 months and barely travelled alone. You've seen South and Central America and are then heading on to India...Turkey and Iran on your own will also be a greater challenge than I faced.

Pure silk 6 feet x 4 feet carpet will be expensive...over 1,000 usd. Esfahan is the home of traditional Iranian carpets, and Mashad is home to the Nomadic carpets...both styles use silk.

For research try www.bukhara-carpets.com

Thursday, September 07, 2006 8:15:00 am

 

Post a Comment

<< Home