This is my blog. It's been going for a couple of years now. I'll keep writing in it from time to time, often for no particular reason.

Saturday, January 20, 2007

The familiarity slump

Between loads of washing, doing the dishes, tidying up around the house and twice daily trips to the Hospital to drop off and pick up Heather from work, I've been doing little else but read and go to the gym. Someone once said that dull women have immaculate homes. The house isn't quite immaculate, but almost, so I'm either a women or dull or both.

It might sound quite luxurious to many - pottering about on hot summer days with no immediate pressure to do anything. But in reality my mind doesn't work like that. How I wish I could put cruise control on and let the RPM's of my brain ease along at around 2,000 as I navigate my way down this flat straight stretch of life I find myself on.

Alas, no.

I have been going to the gym but the body still isn't ready for proper lifting sessions that leave the mind shattered and the muscles clinging to the bones by a thread. And without a job or any other diverting project my mind and body is left under stimulated. The foot as always is flat to the floor, the RPM's are at 6,000 but I'm going nowhere fast and am analysing the life out every minute detail of the world around me. Trying to ignore the fact that I wish I was surrounded by people who don't speak English in a country with customs that would make Marco Polo run for cover.

Life is just too easy, the only challenge is being motivated to tackle the daily administrative tasks of life to the best of ones ability. Indeed I believe I have found myself in that most treacherous and soul spoiling of places - The Comfort Zone. "God, Allah, Vishnu and pals get me out of here", I plead as I 'tsk' at the price of red capsicums in Woolies, then drive home and watch TV until bed time.

The answers to this problem are always easy. But in a way the answers are really just another nail in a coffin that tessellates with everyone else's coffins of normal society. Get a job, join a club, blah blah blah - ie. do what everyone else is doing to forget that they are living the same lives as each other - just ensure there is a veneer of difference to perpetuate our individualistic society.

I just got offered a customer service job for Medicare - I'll have to take it, but the conflict with my Uni course which starts in a few weeks will probably result in my resignation after a month. I've also started planning more travel for 18-24 months in the future - to anywhere that takes my fancy as I stare at Google wondering what to look up.

In other news, we have just got a car for Heather - a little Ford Festiva with air-con and power steering (the only features that differentiate it from the greatest car in the world - '81 Honda Civic) and it is red. Heather must have been looking a little tired when we paid for it because the dealer got her confused with Methuselah and put her age as 925 years old, which required correction for the contract to be valid. Of course.

The road will get windy and tricky again, with potholes to zip around - but in the meantime I'll try not to fall asleep at the wheel or drive too dangerously during this stretch of the road.

10 Comments:

Blogger Farah said...

Nick, I know exactly what you are going though..... I feel the same way. These days I find myself dreaming of just breaking free from my mundane daily responsibilities and I crave some sort of adventure. Don't get me wrong, teaching is great, but I feel too comfortable with everything. I need a good dose of PAIN!!!

Saturday, January 20, 2007 2:04:00 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nick, all I can say and I was given this advice not so long ago (in the form of a West End musical) - its only temporary!

Besides life is what you make of it. No matter where you are or what you are doing its the way you approach each day and each person you meet that makes the difference. Whether that be wondering around in Afghanistan or picking at the red capsicum in Woolworths.

But definitely have a lot of sympathy on the hanging out around the house thing - I was well and truly climbing the walls towards the end of my few months locked up in London.

Sunday, January 21, 2007 10:53:00 am

 
Blogger Farah said...

Words of wisdom, Trent. Very well said indeed!

Sunday, January 21, 2007 11:05:00 am

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Farah - just read your blog and talking to Lucas last night. Just wanted to say congrats on the engagement. It couldn't have happened to a nicer couple and I wish you all the happiness the world has to offer. You guys are going to smash it!!!

Sunday, January 21, 2007 11:18:00 am

 
Blogger Farah said...

Thanks Trent! I wish you and Amanda all the best as well. I hear the wedding is going to be in Italy? How cool is that?!

Good luck with all the planning, and next time I'm in London (hopefully soon) I hope to see you guys.

xx Farah

Sunday, January 21, 2007 3:23:00 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We might as well take of Nick's blog completely for the purposes of our chat, but yeah it is going to be in Florence with a few close family and I absolutely cant wait!!! I also cant wait for the honeymoon / trip back to Australia to celebrate.

Sunday, January 21, 2007 8:20:00 pm

 
Blogger Nick said...

No, by all means continue the chat. I'll rename my blog www.trentandfarahtalkweddings.blogspot.com ;-)

Monday, January 22, 2007 9:11:00 am

 
Blogger Farah said...

Awe, Nick you are so understanding! That's why we luvvv you! :-)

Trent, sounds like a dream! Florence is gorgeous and the shopping is great. The markets are not that expensive and you can get some cool stuff.

Make sure you go to the highest point in Florence which overlooks the entire city. It's very romantic and a must see.

Also all the squares/piazza's are stunning. The gelato icecream is so good (I would gladly substitute icecream for dinner in Italy!)

Oh you too are just going to LOVE it. All the best! Wish I was there. Please tell Amanda I say hello and that I miss her!!

Monday, January 22, 2007 12:59:00 pm

 
Blogger futureshock101 said...

Weddings, parties anything I guess...

Nick only advice I can provide you with is make the most of these moments and don't feel guilty. Enjoy the time to do nothing. In a world so obsessed with achievement it is interesting to note that all this over achievers have achieved is destroying our world. At least if you're doing nothing you're doing no harm :-)

Monday, January 22, 2007 2:25:00 pm

 
Blogger Nick said...

ah Lucas, the best and most rational advice I have recieved yet. You're absolutely right. What would I do with more money and less time anyway? Buy stuff I don't really need?

Monday, January 22, 2007 3:44:00 pm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home