This is my blog. It's been going for a couple of years now. I'll keep writing in it from time to time, often for no particular reason.

Monday, January 10, 2011

Maintenance

A recent trip to the dentist evoked that most boring of life's necessities - maintenance. Nothing too wrong with the teeth, just needs thorough consistent maintenance so that my genetically likely gum problems do not eventuate.

The work of keeping something in proper condition. No progress or development on the horizon - just the treadmill of working to keep things the way they are. There is without a doubt some pleasure in the metaphorical and literal greasing of a finely built machine. Restoring something to it's former glory, probably more enjoyable than maintaining something glorious. But both trump the tedium of brushing, flossing and mouth washing teeth that are only a couple of hours away from another assault of fodder.

A couple of weeks before I start my new job at Griffith Uni, so I have some spare time to indulge in writing some of my ramblings and relieve Heather of the burden of listening to them all.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

HI Nickie,
Lately every time I eat some thing cold, hot, sweet or sour my mouth freaks out and my teeth scream in agony. They are a constant reminder of our conversations in Tanzania when I was eating my much sweetened muesli and yoghurt, you across from me tell me the biggest danger in peoples diet is sugar. Obviously I didn't listen as my diet for the past 2 years has been Mint Slice Biscuits. But I feel that I am paying the price now. Cavity after cavity and living in Katherine in the NT where the waiting list for the dentist is approx. 6mths.
New Years resolution: Listen to future Dr Hirst's advice when he generously dishes it out.

Saturday, January 22, 2011 9:43:00 am

 

Post a Comment

<< Home