This is my blog. It's been going for a couple of years now. I'll keep writing in it from time to time, often for no particular reason.

Tuesday, May 09, 2006

A kindred spirit

I've recently discovered the writings of the philosopher AC Grayling. Not a greek philosopher or even an 18th century thinker, but a bloke who is still publishing articles at a furious pace. I like reading his essays because they give structure and support to pretty much everything I believe, while helping to iron out some (not all) of my contradictory thoughts, thus curbing a little the sometimes extremist rage I like to wallow in occasionally.

Here is a little essay on Nationalism - http://www.acgrayling.com/nationalism.html - I find amusing and agree with the idea of Britain as a mongrel nation, implying Australia is even more so. Have a read and if you're like me you'll be hungry to read more of his writing.

I find his essays humourous, articulate and not too far drawn into the tedium and apathy of realism. He begins each book by pointing out that these are only his ideas and isn't suggesting they are necessarily right, but a contribution to a discussion with the reader.

Meanwhile I strained by hamstring while scoring a try in touch footy last night, it is bandaged and selotaped firmly. About to head down to the hospital for the final countdown until the nephew/niece rears its head and gives an almighty roar.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home