This is my blog. It's been going for a couple of years now. I'll keep writing in it from time to time, often for no particular reason.

Thursday, June 22, 2006

Globalisation

I just picked up a magazine produced by our trade union – Amicus. There was a brief mention of how so many ‘quality jobs are being lost to cheap labour in countries like Poland’.

This reminded me a question that I never end up asking or resolving. Globalisation, especially the free movement of labour, will result in wage equalisation – at least to some extent. From a left-wing global humanist perspective, how can this be a bad thing? I think the more jobs and money and resources, that flow out of wealthy nations like the UK, US, Australia etc into poorer countries, the better. The mini-globalisation process in the EU is a perfect example. London, and even the South West of England now, is being flooded with cheap, and often skilled, labour from eastern European countries. Why do anti-globalisation demonstrators want to prevent this free movement of wealth between countries? I thought they came from the left?

I admit openly that I am under-briefed on this issue. But assuming that there is no exploitation of cheap labour – which there isn’t when people are legally competing for jobs in a regulated labour market such as the UK – where is the problem? Again I would be making assumptions about the regulation of industries and especially tight controls on the activities of trans-national corporations, but the free movement of labour and removal of protectionist trade policy can only be a good thing for developing countries can’t it? (again, can I re-iterate the assumption I am making about the domestic policies of developing nations regarding the role that TNCs are allowed to play in their nation – which gives me the feeling that the crux of the argument against globalisation might be related to this point – in which case protestors are possibly barking up the wrong tree and should be lobbying the IMF/World Bank to encourage such policy – then again maybe they are…. ). Am I being too micro-economically minded here? Some input - for and against – would be appreciated.

Meanwhile, I have 7 days of work left – two of which will be taken up with the oft mentioned seminars and five of which will be used to write a paper that looks like an options appraisal to the naked eye, but is actually the plans for a Marxist revolution.

Trent and Amanda have moved into our place and will take on the mantle of Kings of Kilburn when Lucas and I abdicate from the position to go and find our fortunes in the East.

The network is down at work so I am not able to access any documents I need to work on – and am typing this in Word. Did deadlifts at the gym yesterday and my legs are feeling great – I want to charge up stairs and through doors to use the explosive potential that this exercise unlocks. Just a quick note to all sportspeople – focus on the posterior chain for improved sporting strength, balance and quickness (that would be calves, hams, glutes, erector spinae – and core in general, lats, traps and delts).

Longest day of the year today (or shortest for you Southern Hemisphere lot).

Why does time fly when I write a page of whatever I want compared to a page of something for work, when time seems to freeze and my body has a physical rejection of what I am trying to do (nail biting, agitation, tight shoulders, sweat, hunger, blurred vision)?

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I totally agree. Globalisation, properly regulated, holds the key to poverty reduction, not increased foreign aid.
This is not just the view of middle class white consumers enjoying the benefits of cheap imports and unwilling to send their tax dollars to 'parts unkown' (hat tip to Rob for that phrase)...but also the view of many in the developing world:

http://service.spiegel.de/cache/international/spiegel/0,1518,363663,00.html

How good were the socceroos. Today Croatia, tomorrow the World Cup!

See you in a week, enjoy the seminars...

Friday, June 23, 2006 12:34:00 pm

 
Blogger Nick said...

ahh it just clicked - of course - cheap imports means loss of jobs for the un/semi-skilled workers of the developed nations. Hmmm a tough one, because the bourgois are still the winners while the workers are still the losers. I guess from my perspective as a middle class white person I am prepared to sacrifice the security of protectionist trade policy for the blue-collars in favour of promoting (sustainable, ha) development in developing nations. And I hope this will eventually lead to similar competition in the white collar market as well.

Note I am leaving aside any judgements about the direction and sustainability of the development of nations. There are many many other government interventions I would like to see happening concurrently, many.

Friday, June 23, 2006 6:51:00 pm

 
Blogger Nick said...

The socceroos will smash the Italians and hopefully face the English at some point - who cares about the Ashes let's knock England out of the World Cup!! haha.

Friday, June 23, 2006 6:52:00 pm

 
Blogger Ingrid and Tom said...

I know I am a little late to comment... but feel the need to add that in Antwerp, a similar situation is occurring - Polish people make cheap builders (can work under the table for next to nothing) and apparently harder workers. But, like the article mentions, they also take cleaning jobs, garbo jobs, toilet ladies etc - so effectively, it is only a problem in the underqualified (at this moment) - and sadly, many of these Pols etc are actually scientists/teachers etc, so the globalisation process isnt really working here - but I do agree with you too (despite not knowing much on the issue). - If this process just goes one step further, I would be happy.

PS - incredibly pissed at the Italian babies. (and even more so at FIFA - but that´s another issue...!)

Wednesday, June 28, 2006 7:08:00 pm

 
Blogger Ingrid and Tom said...

By the way - bummed we wont see you off, but hope to see you sometime in the future...
will make sure to keep reading
:)

Wednesday, June 28, 2006 7:10:00 pm

 
Blogger Nick said...

Yeah it will be a shame not to catch up again before we leave. Who knows which black-run we'll cross paths on next. And yeah - damn italians! We would have smashed England in the semi final!

Yeah it is interesting how overqualified the migrated labour is that is competing for the unskilled work. Does this mean there is an excess supply of skilled labour in those countries or the wage rates are still better in unskilled work in more developed nations. hmmm.

Wednesday, June 28, 2006 8:37:00 pm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home