This is my blog. It's been going for a couple of years now. I'll keep writing in it from time to time, often for no particular reason.

Friday, September 15, 2006

Consolation in Corfu

Corfu? Yes I am in Corfu. After the harrowing news of my Iranian visa, I went through the motions of assessing my options. Never having been to Venice I noted there was cheap flight on Easyjet from there to London, to which I could change my Istanbul flight. I also was aware that:

a) My brother was leaving London for a couple of weeks and may need a house sitter
b) A mate could get me some work as a bicycle courier for a couple of weeks in London and
c) the final and most consoling/exciting prospect, Heather would be in the region of Venice/the Greek coast line, and we might cross paths.

It seemed as though all these events were timed to perfection to coincide with my meeting Heather and then flying on this cheap flight to London, just in time to housesit (having a whole house, dog and even gym access for the duration in London) for a couple of weeks before flying to India with Heather.

So I left the Turkish apartment in Bostanci at 6:50am yesterday morning. Arriving in the city centre moments before the scheduled shuttle bus to the main bus station was due to leave - but the shuttle was non-existent (despite calling them the previous evening to confirm) - so I conned my way onto a shuttle with another company and after sorting out a ticket in the main Otogar was on my way to Thessaloniki.

Thirteen hours later, at 11pm, I arrived in Thessa - about 50 days ago I had the same midnight snack at the same cafe then slept in the same gutter with Heather - this time I was by myself - but on my way to see Heather. The bus to Igoymenitsu left at midday the next day and I amused myself by playing the guitar and singing loudly in a semi-delirious state. The bus to Igoy was 6 hours without a hitch - although I almost got left on the side of the road when I fell asleep at my table during the lunch break, the driver having to stop the bus and run back to wake me up - hehehe.

The ferry to Corfu from Igoy was 1.5 hours of relaxing and going to the toilet after none of the buses had a bathroom. I'm now checked into a hostel that resembles a resort more than anything - but it will tie me over until Heather arrives in a day or two.

So as my brief stint as a solo traveler is about to draw to a close I thought I would quickly share some of the thoughts I have on the topic of solo travel.

When you haven't said a word to anyone in 36 hours of bus travel you start to wonder if your voice still works and what it sounds like - what would it be like to have a conversation with a person again? In our everyday lives, 'who we are' is defined a lot more by precedent of who we are with all the people we have around us on a regular basis. But when you are (or I am) traveling alone, the edges start to go blurry of that previously crisply defined self image - I don't think that is either a good or a bad thing. But when you meet someone and you are otherwise alone, you don't have that boundary of 'who you are' to restrict you.

Anyone who knows me knows that when I get lost in a train of thought, I get lost, the world outside my mind ceases to exist entirely. After a little while of traveling alone I was suddenly more acutely aware of when I would draw into myself and exist only in the world in my head and when I was only conscious and aware of what was going on around me. Sometimes, in this inner world of emotion and rationality fighting each other, and not having someone who knew me as a point of reference, it felt like my mind and 'who i am' or 'who i think i am' was a pack of cards thrown into the air - no reason and no 'pattern'. But after observing myself meeting many different people in different situations a pattern emerges and you can see yourself with even more clarity than before.

I am running out of time now on this computer, but I just wanted to finish by saying that a part of me is glad that I didn't make it to Iran or Afghanistan alone. As my brother said - no-one will really know what you've seen or done, only you. I want to share experiences with people, and talk about them and analyse them - so Turkey was great to travel alone in - loads of other travellers to meet and enjoy their company - but Iran and Afghanistan would have been an unshared experience. So I'm looking forward to seeing those countries one day. But the part that makes me the happiest is that I will have Heather in my arms again in one more day.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like a great plan to me - we'll see you in London mate.

Friday, September 15, 2006 11:16:00 pm

 
Blogger futureshock101 said...

Yep, travelling alone bites the bit one. I mean it's a novalty at first but at the end of the day you feel like the tree falling in the woods with no there to hear it.... Anyways good to hear you plans are working out mate.

Sunday, September 17, 2006 2:41:00 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Am glad that you're not too disappointed and that things have turned a positive corner for you. I have a feeling you've been through the most difficult time of your travels and that from this point on everything will flow relitively drame free =)

Lauren

Monday, September 18, 2006 1:45:00 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Nick

Glad to hear you're still having a good time even with the few travel plan hiccups.
I loved travelling by myself, granted it was only through Western Europe, but it was great to be able to do what you wanted when you wanted without having to check with anyone. I found i met more people, I probably wouldn't have if I was with someone else, and linked up with people if they were going the same way, then going by myself when I wanted to.
You learn alot about yourself while travelling alone - I definitely became more self sufficient and realised that i could rely on myself when in a sticky situation and was actually pretty independent.
But saying that, it's great to be able to share experiences with someone, and to be able to take photos with you in it rather than just of scenery!

Eleanor

Monday, September 18, 2006 3:52:00 pm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home