This is my blog. It's been going for a couple of years now. I'll keep writing in it from time to time, often for no particular reason.

Saturday, May 26, 2007

Photos

No I haven't put any up. Not for ages. I was just looking at some.

Do you ever look at yourself in a photo and think "gee I was different back then", sometimes you know what has changed, sometimes it is just a funny feeling, looking at yourself and not knowing what was going through that person's mind at that time.

I always thought that as time goes on a person (particularly a young one) will inevitably become a better more rounded person. More confident, more intelligent, aware and knowledgeable. But not always. There is the obvious case of the person getting hooked on damaging behaviour (drug abuse etc), that goes without saying. But what about as you get older and you become more certain about what you believe, what you like, what you consider right and wrong, and I guess in the end, the awful realisation that you have ideas and concerns about how other people should live. Self-righteousness. There is clearly an element, and probably needs to be an element, of self-righteousness in everyone. Parents and Governments for example, it is their job to make value judgements and impose those judgements on their underlings.

I've always had some difficulty in expressing concern, offense, insecurity, stress and other such negative feelings, in a form other than anger. The more bitterness and hate with which the anger can be spat out the better. Condescending, belittling, and furiously forked tongue lashing out.

Fortunately I don't have those negative feelings too often. But a side-effect of education and some experience has brought to life feelings of self-righteousness - people spending too much, using too much electricity, ignorant of the how the media manipulates them, unaware of their own greed - thinking that buying presents for people makes them thoughtful and caring. Already I can feel the poison rising to the back of my throat, into my fangs, one eye on the victims jugular.

But the poison remains within me, the only fruit of the anger is frustration and a further withdrawal from the society that doesn't feel the way I do. I don't want to be angry anymore. I want to be that laughing semi-inebriated boy standing on a table that I see in photos.

7 Comments:

Blogger Farah said...

Amen brother. It's a hard one because people form opinions and opinions lead towards being judgmental and "self righteous."

The only thing I can suggest is never stop laughing. Life is too short to be a stick in the mud. Do what you can for humanity, but also make sure you have a good time while doing it.

Sunday, May 27, 2007 11:57:00 am

 
Blogger futureshock101 said...

I agree with Farah here... It is important to be happy and smile, play and laugh... Afterall if you can't smile and enjoy life what value is there in living?

But being happy doesn't mean being ignorant (which so many out there believe). It comes for a truer understanding of reality and having a complete vision of justice in a world that often feels so unfair. Only through deep education and complete humbleness can you truly care and be happy. I recommend some light reading... Too much left wing, save the world stuff will make you want to kill yourself, or worse, get a gun and kill others. Smile, be thankful that you're not ignorant, and lead by example...

Sunday, May 27, 2007 2:54:00 pm

 
Blogger Farah said...

I suggest you read HARRY POTTER!!! Then I will have someone to talk to about it :)

Monday, May 28, 2007 6:19:00 am

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Nick.

Enjoy your day =)

Tuesday, May 29, 2007 8:24:00 am

 
Blogger Nick said...

Thanks chaps and anonymous. It is indeed my 104th birthday this year. Eating right and plenty of exercise is the secret.

Tuesday, May 29, 2007 1:47:00 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hope eating right includes birthday cake!!!

Thursday, May 31, 2007 5:39:00 pm

 
Blogger Nick said...

no cake and candles - but i did have some greek chocolate tart, hmmm.

Thursday, May 31, 2007 7:34:00 pm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home