This is my blog. It's been going for a couple of years now. I'll keep writing in it from time to time, often for no particular reason.

Friday, June 22, 2007

Semester one......OVER!!!!!

Three icy cold days with winds like I've never seen in Brisbane preceded my final two exams. Daily treks to the UQ Library were made to allow me to focus on nothing but Asia Pacific Development and Microeconomic Analysis. Each day I would return home, unable to focus my eyes properly on any luminescent object after hours of reading and writing. Never did I think it would be possible that I could spend that amount of time seated, concentrating on a topic which, although essential to the bigger picture - was not all that riveting. There must have been something else in my mind that did keep me riveted to my seat - possibly the pressure I've put on myself to perform after a very laid back and cruisy undergraduate life.

Less than 24 hours ago I was sitting at the main refec at Uni doing some last minute revising - (thought bubble) - "individual rationality constraint is setting the expected utility, based on probable outcomes due to a high effort induced under contract, equal to the utility from the second best alternative. Incentive compatibility constraint is setting the aforementioned expected utility equal to the expected utility based on probable outcomes under low effort despite contract designed to induce high effort. Substitute IR in IC constraints to solve for the wage level required to induce high effort, thereby avoiding moral hazard". Not rocket science, but with enough of these little rules and equations to remember it was going to be a tricky exam. A hot chocolate later and I was away. Difficulties due to the ambiguity that lecturers like to throw into questions was my main problem - the above formula being the most heavily weighted question with the relevant information being, as mentioned, ambiguous.

So I staggered out of that exam at 8pm, only to find a parking ticket on the car (I noticed it flapping at me as I drove home - half hoping it would fly off the windscreen to be forgotten about until a reminder notice arrived). After shoving some sausage and mashed potato into my hungry belly I collapsed in front of a very interesting documentary about Pamela Churchill (daughter in law of Sir Winston) - obviously delirious, I decided to get into bed to prepare for my next exam (8am the following morning). Twenty minutes of revising my notes somehow turned into a deep slumber and I must have groggily turned the light off during the night. Luckily I had already set my alarm in case of such turns of unconsciousness.

Six am arrived just, it seemed, as the bed was warming up and the pillows got softer. I use the same phone alarm that I first used on those cold London morning (dididididududududededede bzzzz bzzzz BIP! BIP! you remember that one Lucas!). So I dragged myself into the shower, had some excellently cooked eggs on toast then warmed my innards with a large strong black coffee. Hopped into the car and headed to uni just as the sun (as last!) was hitting the tops of the sandstone buildings. I sat in the car for a quarter of an hour re-reading my notes - (thought bubble again) - South Korea used these policies....Taiwan used these....India used these.....a developmental state is this.......democracy is not good for a developing country, benevolent autocracies like those in the Asian Tigers is the secret to ignoring self interested lobby groups and having a successful economy. Confucianism is cool. etc etc.

I checked the coins in my pocket (so as to avoid another parking ticket) and jumped out the car to buy my ticket for a couple of hours of parking. As I was closing the door I simultaneously noticed the keys in the ignition and the fact that the door was locked. I tried to catch the door, but too late - it just clicked closed before I could stop it. My immediate instinct was to throw my gloved (due to the cold) fist through the window and retrieve the keys. If it was just my car I wouldn't have hesitated in doing so - but I knew Heather would think punching a hole in her car window to be a little brash.

Now I'm not usually a coffee drinker, so after a big black coffee my nerves were jangling and it seemed like my blood was trembling with nervous energy and now adrenalin. Twenty minutes before the exam begins, no pen, no photo ID. I ring Gini from the nearest phone (the gym). She packs me a pencil case and Scott does two trips to bring me the pencil case and my passport just as I headed into the exam. Suddenly realising that I never bought the parking ticket - I rush back down to the car park and buy a ticket with the coins in my pocket - stick it under the windscreen wiper and dash back up the hill to my exam room.

Heart pounding from the exercise, adrenaline and caffeine, I sit down at my allotted desk just as the time begins. I empty my brain out onto paper, scribbling furiously for the whole two hours, hand cramping and almost wetting myself (caffeine being a diuretic). The exam ends. I leave, no euphoria yet - still high from the caffeine I power walk up the steep hill to get home, and take the Honda and a coat hanger back down to Uni.

Five minutes later I feel like a dangerous criminal as I use a coat hanger for the first time to unlock a car door. I go home, I eat, I go to the gym, I go home, I garden furiously for three hours, I have a shower, I eat, I sit down at the computer - I don't think the caffeine has worn off yet. I hope I sleep tonight.

1 Comments:

Blogger futureshock101 said...

Oh yeah... I remember that alarm! Hard to believe this is the same phone that died in Torres Del Paine! Hope you go well mate, sure you will as it sounds like the amount of work you have done is huge!!!

Monday, June 25, 2007 10:46:00 pm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home