This is my blog. It's been going for a couple of years now. I'll keep writing in it from time to time, often for no particular reason.

Monday, February 11, 2008

Familiarity and waves

One of the worst things about being in one place for too long is the restricting feeling of familiarity. The ignoring of things that you know are there but don't require your conscious attention.

One of the best things about being in a place for a while is the increasing familiarity you feel with your environment. The awareness of everything around you and the gradual revelation of its interdependence.

That's the difference between being somewhere for a long time and for too long. If you know what I mean.

I've recently reached the point where (I think) I am more in touch with reality of where I am and what's going on. The first three to four weeks was a mixture of fascination, excitement and relief with survival instinct imposed feelings of fascination, excitement and relief. That survival instinct was the knowledge that we are here for 12 months and if our first thoughts are ones of "Oh my god what have I done? What the hell are we doing here?" then we're going to have a very tough first few weeks of adjustment. So no doubt there were/are some elements of our time here that will be difficult - my constant search for regular meals and a exercise will be hard. Heather's desire for occasional comfort food may or may not subside. It is also difficult sometimes having to constantly wave and smile as every single person wants to say hello. Which is a good thing, but tiring

So with the exception of the odd day where I feel hungry or I quietly yet furiously disagree with a house decision, I am very happy here. I am asleep within minutes of going to bed (an obvious sign of contentment) and wake easily when the rooster starts crowing at sunrise. The afternoons feel remarkably like those of Spring or Autumn at Tabragalba Grove where we wander to the top of the hill to watch the sun set. Quiet, peaceful, the occasional cow mooing or goat having a horrible nightmare. Only the smell of fresh earth and fruit trees. And so I feel divided sometimes, between wanting to be there, but not wanting to give up being here. Leaving Australia for South America last time was easier because I was leaving Canberra and a job, this time I am leaving home.

On a different note, something for the individualists, I heard this recently:

A wave was flowing along in the ocean, very happy, enjoying its time, watching the sun and moon and seeing other waves, some bigger some smaller. Then one day it was approaching land, it could see up ahead all the other waves crashing into rocks and disappearing back into the ocean. Panicking he cried out to the other waves, stop! can't you see what is happening? We're all going to get broken up on those rocks and disappear back into the ocean!!

Are you joking? said the other waves.
Look at yourself, you are part of the ocean, where does the ocean stop and you begin?

1 Comments:

Blogger Farah and Lucas said...

Dude, hope all is well out there...

Familiarity is a funny thing, something that I often resented until I realised that to really make a difference and to understand something you need to really really know it... Time is the only thing that provides this...

I guess the question is why are you there and what you and Heather are hoping to achieve in this endeavour. I have no doubt that you will learn much in this year and it will be enriching. Keep it real and let Heather enjoy her comforts from time to time, we all have our vices :-)

Know that Farah and I love you both very much and our thoughts and prayers are with you always.

Lucas and Farah.

Wednesday, February 27, 2008 11:55:00 am

 

Post a Comment

<< Home