This is my blog. It's been going for a couple of years now. I'll keep writing in it from time to time, often for no particular reason.

Friday, July 22, 2005

The Last Post....

...from Latin America. I have a feeling this could be a long-ish one.

This is it, the last day in Latin America and unfortunately there is very little 'Latin' about San Jose, Costa Rica. Without a doubt it's the 73th State in the US. I'd been giving lots of thought about this last post and really wanted to write something that I could read back on the in the future and be thrown headlong back into the huge mix of emotions I am feeling and have felt along the way. It wasn't really until I was writing in my diary the other day that I realised the most important part of this trip that has been consistently present but I haven't mentioned much really (not talking about my bowels again). But I'll get to that. Firstly I'll give a quick update of the last few days and remember some highlights.

Not a hugely eventful few days in Honduras. After seeing the Copan ruins we found a base in Tegucigalpa for several nights, and after night two we found ourselves being the barmen for the hostel, the owner said we could drink the beer for free, but we were very restrained and only had a couple. Lucas had his credit card stolen in Guatemala City, and within one hour of it being stolen had cancelled it, not before they managed to scythe $2,100 from his account, which he'll get back from the bank thankfully. We got the 7am bus from Tegucigalpa straight through Nicaragua yesterday (with a quick stop to dash to an ATM for border fees) and arrived in San Jose, Costa Rica around midnight last night, once again to the backdrop of McDonalds, Donut King and transvestites. It has been a little disheartening to arrive at a hostel full of rich american and british backpackers in their fancy clothes who are having a summer holiday in Costa Rica, we feel far more at home with the bleary eyed cynical backpackers in tatters eating SPAM for dinner. So we are now contemplating how we will celebrate our last night in Latin America, lets hope it becomes a post-able event.

A brief rundown of my personal highlights of the trip include:

Brazil: Rio de Janeiro in general, magical city. Body surfing the most perfect waves at 4am on Copocabana beach then getting chased by transvestites.
Argentina: Argentinian carnival in Gualeguaychu, swimming near an elephant seal in Puerto Madryn.
Chile: Nearly dying in Torres del Paine, plus the escape on the final day. The lava in Volcan Villarica, Pucon.
Bolivia: The whole country, including Salar de Uyuni, Potosi Mine, Worlds Most Dangerous Road and Huayna Potosi (an all time life highlight). Plus meeting George and Aska - see you guys soon!
Peru: The alternative Inca trail, crazy Cusco, chilling out in Mancora, the Amazon jungle, the boat trips down the Amazon.
Colombia: The cargo plane flight from Leticia to Bogota
Cuba: The food at Odali's little house in Maguana, riding bikes in the midday heat, watching the incredible Cuban people dance and have fun.
Guatemala: San Pedro la Laguna and our family, the sweetest kindest people on earth.

Before I go into my final summation I just wanted to say a couple of things about Latin America from my perspective. I've found myself addicted to the Latin American love songs, some are a little corny but each one almost brings me to tears when I remember the people and places that each one conjures up in my memory. I think I have completely fallen in love with South America. If you want efficiency, good service, hygiene, logic, security and comfort then it probably isn't the best place to visit. But if you want to feel the energy and passion of Latin America, test your limits and see some of the most incredible natural wonders, learn a new language and be part of a different way of life, all to the backdrop of the world's most beautiful people (in my opinion) then you'll love it as much as I do. That sounds a bit 'travel guide' but it's true.

Something important occurred to me as the melancholy grows the closer we come to the end of this trip. I'll certainly crave to be back here in the future, but that's not what I feel sad about, I can always come back. The most amazing part of the trip has been the fact that Lucas and I have done it together. Every step of the way we have pushed each other to go that bit further and get out of our comfort zones, riding each others highs and supporting the lows. Having seen so many other people who have travelled together through South America end up getting fed up with one another and travelling alone we have realised just how lucky we have been. Every experience and every thought has been shared and discussed. We have been an indominatible team always pushing to achieve what others say it crazy or impossible. Learning so much about each other has taught us so much about ourselves. Seeing each other for 23.5 hours every day can be a test on any friendship, but it has only made this one stronger through the shared experiences of a liftetime. But for the time being anyway this unstoppable partnership will draw to a close as we go our separate ways for a while in the UK. That is the part I will miss the most, waking up (or being woken up) and saying 'Righto Lucas, what are we doing today' or vice versa. So my final words from Latin America will be...

Thanks Lucas, I couldn't have done it without you, and if I had it wouldn't have been anywhere near as unbelievable.