This is my blog. It's been going for a couple of years now. I'll keep writing in it from time to time, often for no particular reason.

Sunday, July 10, 2005

Spanish course and travel reflection

I have suprised myself and been fairly quiet on the topic of health and fitness (that's not to say any of you should be slacking off!!). It has been in the back of my mind sometimes, but with a return to the 'real world' looming, my mind has brought the gym to the forefront again - and I am chomping at the bit to finally put all my theories of diet and exercise into practice on a totally untrained subject - me!

After just over 5 months of living on the road we are winding up the last days of the grand adventure in this quiet little town San Pedro, doing a Spanish course in an effort to unlock the stores of spanish in our heads we have heard but not entirely understood, and reflecting on the experiences, people and lessons that we encountered during our travels. Maybe it is part of my tendency to never throw anything out that gives me the urge to document every moment of this trip, from the most mundane of topics, such as public transport in each country to....other mundane topics, such as the brand of beer in each country. I want to make lists and categories, draw pictures of the people and mountains, and write essays on every aspect of everything we've seen. Sometimes I'll lie awake and relive every day of the last 5 months, laughing to myself, feeling 'homesick' for places like Buenos Aires and Bolivia.

Apart from our little town here, we haven't really 'done' Central America, which I am glad about, as it gives me all the more reason to indulge myself and return here (and why not South America too hey? it's close enough!).

I wonder sometimes, as we discuss our next and possibly greatest adventure through Asia (currently planned as an overland trip from the UK to Indonesia), whether the incredible time I've had is due more to general travel experiences of meeting new people and places every day or the charm and wonder of South America? I think both and I'm sure that Asia will be equally as breath taking. For the moment however, and it is probably clear to everyone, we are a bit travel weary. Seeing spectacular mountains, villagers in traditional Mayan dress and steaming volcanoes has, to an extent, become the norm. And as Lucas mentioned in his post, McDonalds, mobile phones, road rules, air-con and toilet paper have become foreign objects to us. It is time to re-enter the society that we fled and once again appreciate the simplicities, complexities and beauty of Latin America.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home