This is my blog. It's been going for a couple of years now. I'll keep writing in it from time to time, often for no particular reason.

Thursday, July 28, 2005

Poms and first test victory

Well done aussies with a resounding 1st Test victory, certainly setting the tone for another comprehensive thrashing this English summer.

Arrived in London early this morning after a solid 24 hours of transit, including sitting at the train station at Heathrow for four hours waiting for Lucas to get his package from the cargo area. Sitting huddled in a corner amongst bags and my rags trying to keep warm playing my guitar while the expensively dressed passengers power walked past me, with the occasional disdainful glance downwards like I was beggar really made me crave South America again. There isn't much that isn't making me crave it. I long to be surrounded by people who can't afford to live expensive lifestyles and sleeping at bus stations and stealing scraps off other peoples plates is a norm rather than something to be looked down upon. It feels like the harder you have it in the poorer countries the more sympathy and smiles you get, whereas around here you'd better keep your aesthetically displeasing poverty out of everyones view so they can live their sterile lives and not feel uneasy or nervous as they walk past a vagrant - ooh he might mug you!. God I'm ranting again.

Not really sure what else there is to say about it. I don't have a problem with people earning moderate incomes for comfortable lives in a Western world. It's just the excess that is really stinging me at the moment, these people are no more deserving of a soft bed and clear picture on their TV than a struggling bolivian coca farmer. So why do they end up having more? And then their attitude towards the poor is the worst, I suppose England (or modern society) was founded on a class system and people who have the riches feel more like the noble class while the poorer 'service' classes should be kept away from the rich otherwise it will highlight to them their own excesses. Is that why we have expensive suburbs? Keep the rich together so they don't get guilted into sharing with one another? I can see the irony of me spending in excess of $10,000 on a trip around South America and complaining about the fatcats. But I hope that what I've been made to feel will make a difference on how I approach my life from now on, not walk the path of wealth creation that we've been designed to walk.

I'm just feeling tired and hateful and I want to go back to South America.