This is my blog. It's been going for a couple of years now. I'll keep writing in it from time to time, often for no particular reason.

Saturday, September 23, 2006

Venetian Blinds

I did not see a single set of Venetian blinds in Venice. Just in case you ever think to go there with a view to purchasing a genuine set of louver-style blinds.

Where was I when I wrote my last post? Corfu? Yes. I had two night a place called the Pink Palace - one of those Ibiza style resorts set up for a people who travel to get drunk. I kept a low profile and did some swimming out in the crystal clear bay - sea swimming when there are no waves is actually very nice when the water is so clear.

I met Heather in a little bunch of shops known as Dassia - a place where we would spend time over the next few nights sipping a cheap cocktail after dinner while playing chess.

The weather was less than perfect - huge rumbling electrical storms and torrential downpours were a feature every day - once getting caught in a cafe for the morning - the roof leaking onto the light above us which then exploded bits of glass into our tea (it was our third cup or so, so we weren't too concerned. The sun did shine through at times and we made the most of it when it was out.

It was an early start on Wednesday morning to get the ferry with Heather's tour group - bound for Venice I only just got my ticket after erroneous instructions from everyone we asked. Heather's cabin buddies kindly let me sleep in their room with them during the 24 hour trip - saving me from another night in a seat (the seats still being vastly more comfortable than any bus). At the 11th hour as the ferry was docking in Venice the next morning, Heather decided to postpone rejoining the group for another day and we set-off into Venice together and found a hotel right next to San Marco square (our window opening straight out onto the Church).

After a day of walking and getting lost and eating the cheapest things we could find we dined out in moderate, yet belly filling style - avoiding (but still enjoying watching) the expensive restaurants with string and wind quartets in Piazza San Marco taking turns in playing so as not to drown the other out.

This morning was a decent (but not the best - that was Vienna) buffet breakfast before saying goodbye again (only for nine days this time) getting the water-bus to the airport for my flight back to London.

So here I am - sitting in London after the little journey from Gatwick to Chiswick. The acute mixed feelings of being back here range between a minor homecoming and familiar comforts, shock at the prices again, and being struck with terror as I get deja vu of London commutes to a fearfully hateful job. The first thought I had as I entered the tube was "no wonder I became a pushy fast walking commuter" - you pause for a moment and people stream past you, pushing and shoving along the way - has it gotten worse? or have I forgotten what it (and I) was like?

Anyway - two relaxing weeks here and then Heather and I fly to India for a month. Then.........

....9th November, 7:00pm, Brisbane International Airport, Heather and I touch down on home soil once more!!!! We can't wait (well we can, until after India)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home