This is my blog. It's been going for a couple of years now. I'll keep writing in it from time to time, often for no particular reason.

Monday, February 06, 2006

The Serpentine Swimming Club

Ever since I read An Equal Music I have wanted to swim in the Serpentine in winter.

The Serpentine is a river/lake that runs through Hyde Park and is home to a multitude of swans, ducks and mad people between 6-9am every day. Saturday morning is race day and was the day that Lucas and I chose to initiate ourselves into the world of the Serpentine swimmers.

Up at 7am on an overcast and chilly morning (the overnight low was -4c). Many layers of warm clothing later and we were on the 52 bus and heading towards Hyde Park, trying to avoid thinking about what we were getting ourselves into.

When we arrived at the swimming clubhouse we were immediately taken under the wings of just about every member - it was the warmest display of kindness and genuine interest I can recall. This group of possibly half-mad english, american, canadian and eastern europeans were buzzing with an energy that I haven't seen in many people. It was also the first time in England that people had been delighted to have been joined by some Australians and we were regaled with tales of the last time an Aussie had dared plunging into the Serpentine in winter.

After being kitted out with swimming caps and goggles we stripped down to our speedos in preparation for Race 3 (of 5), with a sizeable time handicap based on our age (average age would be around 65). The body goes numb to the cold air very quickly when you walk around bare foot in a pair of speedos, escpecially when it knows that much colder wetter conditions are to come.

After watching swimmer after swimmer slowly lower themselves into the water and swan around slowly, obviously enjoying themselves, we stood trembling in the icy puddles on the jetty that serves as the blocks. One woman showed me how she was going white meant her blood vessels were shutting down, great.

But this was a race, and my mind had already switched into ultra-competitive mode - I had a 15 second handicap to the slowest swimmer and a one second handicap to Lucas, it was a 40 yard race. As I finally heard my number called I leapt into the water in my best Thorpedo style, only to have my speedos fall to my knees and gulp in a stomach full of green Serpentine water (possibly as I gasped upon submersion). Speedos were quickly reinstated in their appropriate location and I began the desperate thrash towards the finish line in order to get out of the water as quickly as possible. Quite possibly the fastest I have ever moved through a body of water, and that includes after I finished the race and was powering towards the edge and my towel.

The moment I got out of the water my body went into vaso-something overdrive - I don't know if they were dilating or constricting - most likely doing both, but it was like an electric current running through my body - an incredible feeling to which I am sure all Serpentine swimmers are addicted. Our new friends crowded around us congratulating us on finishing alive and walked us into the changing rooms before thrusting tea and biscuits into our hands with advice on tea holding technique for maximum warmth absorption. I am sure that this is the other addictive side of the experience - everyone being delighted to be sharing with each other a Saturday morning of cold and warmth.

We will be back next week......watch out on the Serpentine Swimming Club Website (Feb 11).

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope you won...otherwise don't bother coming back to Australia!

Tuesday, February 07, 2006 8:37:00 am

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Nick - Glad to see you have still got your sense of humour even when you're freezing your *** off. Try swimming in the North Sea in Scotland - probably even colder in there but just as much fun. Glad to see your future itinery bypasses Perth! Eleanor

Tuesday, February 07, 2006 11:51:00 am

 
Blogger Nick said...

I wouldn't dare showing my face on blogger or back in Aus if I hadn't won.

hmmm North Sea in Scotland - if I ever find myself in those parts I'll certainly go for a dip.

Tuesday, February 07, 2006 8:32:00 pm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home