This is my blog. It's been going for a couple of years now. I'll keep writing in it from time to time, often for no particular reason.

Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Torino 2006....

...is the name of the 2006 Winter Olympics, and where I have been snowboarding (again) for the past week.

I ventured to these parts with the ex-girlfriend, Emma (those of you following my blog will have encountered her along the way) and her parents. Some people asked me why I was still going on the skiing holiday that we had booked some time ago. Well, why not?

Anyway..... The conditions on the first two days on the slopes wasn't ideal - particularly for snowboarding - very icy! Especially while I was still getting to grips with a snowboard that seemed to be designed for a different sport altogether than the one I was using the previous week. The highlight was probably my near death, where I slid off the edge of the piste and ended up cartwheeling at speed backwards down the hill through the trees - I could see the trees flashing past and I tumbled down trying to use my arms in a futile attempt to be the first point of impact in the certain collision with a tree. Luckily I finally landed on my head in a nice big mound of snow at the bottom the slope and quickly zipped around the corner to join the group - the only evidence of the event being snow in every inch of my body, but I looked like that most of the week anyway.

The 'home' resort in which we were accommodated was called Sauze-D'Oulx and was part of the greater array of resorts known as the Vialattea (milky way).

On day three we caught the bus over to the Clavier resort and I enjoyed a great half a day of boarding (despite losing our group when I came acropper on a J-bar). I went down probably the best run I saw all week about 6 times - each time at increasing speed with heavier and nastier falls, finally resulting in a coccyx too painful to be able to bend at the waist. So I sat out the rest of the afternoon next to a fire with a latte in one hand and a cheesy-olive-tomato-bread italian thing in the other.

Day four (Thursday - and Australia Day) was when the temperature plummeted and the misty light snow set in.... It was -13 at the bottom of the mountain around the hotel - what it was another 1000m higher with the blizzard blowing, I shiver to recall. Day five was another bus ride to a different resort in France known as Serre Chevalier and the highest peak I have encountered since South America. Pique Lyrett was 2800m, almost 1800m higher than the resort. To get to the top I had to traverse across the edge of another mountain (unable to see the edge of the cliff due to the blizzardy conditions). But I finally got to the top, and after my customary arms raised above the head when I find the highest point, I boarded the rest of the way back down the mountain. It was possibly the greatest 40 minutes of snowboarding I've had yet - racing down the mountain at full speed through deep pristine white powder. It may have been an illusion caused by excessive endorphins but I recall the sun shining on the glinting snow as I sped across it.

Only a short session on Saturday as the visibility was close to zero again, and the slopes were packed with italian weekend holiday makers - still managed a couple of good runs and wipeouts though.

Back in London Towne again now - I wasn't to sullen as I arrived back in London this time as I felt a small home-coming sensation. That quickly turned into uncontrollable rage as I was confronted with a seemingly endless parade of incompetent Englanders (actually just two, but I was operating on 3 hours sleep from the night before and wasn't in the mood for it).

In other news, my new life goal is to work for the WHO, have I mentioned this before? Second in line is self-sufficient farmer and third is global government dictator.

28 days left of Winter........

2 Comments:

Blogger Ingrid and Tom said...

hmmmm... 28 days left of winter - I find it a little difficult to believe as I look out of my window to see nothing but snow - but hopefully you're right... :)

Wednesday, February 01, 2006 8:08:00 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Still waiting for the $ million!

Wednesday, February 08, 2006 8:11:00 am

 

Post a Comment

<< Home