This is my blog. It's been going for a couple of years now. I'll keep writing in it from time to time, often for no particular reason.

Monday, October 17, 2005

Who needs public transport???

Is what I said to myself at 6am on Saturday morning as I began a two and a half hour adventure through the streets of London and Hampstead Heath.

The evening began in the gentlemens club, where we were discussing lichtenstein over a game of backgammon. In actual fact it began in the Comedy Store, a stand up comedy club - I haven't laughed so hard in a long time. Five comics and an MC, all hilarious in their own way, the dash to get as many pints into us as possible before happy hour ended probably made things a little more humourous.

We left the Comedy Store and headed to one of the cheapest, sleaziest, messiest, most Australian pub in London - the walkabout in Leciester Square. This is where things started to get a little hazy - we had a few more whistle wetters and a danced around for a while, then as far as I know we were magically teleported to a party in some part of London that I don't recall (I have since learned it was Kentish Town). We immediately became best friends with the hosts and were fed some of their concoctions. I gather it was around 6am when I announced my departure by my text message 'sent items' folder. I waved off all offers of directions and maps. Even though I swore blind that I knew London like the back of my hand, I wasn't believed and finally gave in to taking an A-Z guide with me - just in case.

Two and a half hours later I was scrambling over gates in Hampstead Heath. After jumping fences into peoples back gardens and vegetable patches, and on one occasion going over the same fence twice, I realised I had absolutely no idea where I was or in what direction I was headed. It was also at that point that I did a tumble turn over a fence and landed squarely on my head - like a pole being driven into the ground. After a few minutes of wandering through a forrested area I realised I had left my new cashmere sweater lying over the perilous fence from before. During my dash back to retrieve it I slipped several times, sending myself sprawling through the mud. With jumper retrieved I managed to negotiate my way out of this seemingly endless rainforest and found a street. THANK GOD for the A-Z, I found which street I was on and I proceeded to find my way home. It must have been a bit of a shock for my new housemates when I appeared at the front door bleeding from the hands and face and covered in mud. Straight into bed and have been recovering ever since. I just hope I can get the multicoloured stains from my new clothes (note: cashmere jumper - unscathed).

Quite possibly the most excitement I've had in a while, I even texted Lucas telling him he was missing out on a hell of an adventure - I probably wouldn't choose to do it again though...well maybe next weekend.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Who says you have to travel the world to find adventure, when you can have one in somebodies back yard ;-)

Tuesday, October 18, 2005 1:55:00 am

 
Blogger Nick said...

I totally agree. Vegetable gardens are also quite exciting, and fragile. We can all breath easily again, only one tiny stain remains on my new trousers, unnoticable.

Wednesday, October 19, 2005 5:47:00 am

 
Blogger Nick said...

ooh and a big congratulations to Trent and Amanda who I'm told (thanks Bianca - what time did you send that message?) have announced their engagement. Couldn't have happened to a nicer pair, I'll never forget that sunday roast guys - one of the best! I promise I'll be on good form at the wedding, I'm assuming there is to be a good knees up?

Wednesday, October 19, 2005 5:51:00 am

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is true Amanda and I are engaged – it all happened very romantically on Amanda’s 25th birthday.

In terms of a knees up, we haven’t really worked things out yet. Although eloping to Siberia is fast becoming a serious option. Not to sure the fams will like that though – but hey they’ll get over it.

Anyways, we will be in the UK in May next year so a few celebratory drinks will definitely be in order.

Sunday, October 23, 2005 4:52:00 pm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home